in

what happened to him was terrible

The invention was very expensive for an American who injected magic mushroom tea into his veins. It is a case published on January 11 by the Journal of the Academy of Consultation-Liaison Psychiatry.

According to the registry, the 30-year-old man prepared the tea and injected the liquid into his veins. Several days later he had to go to the emergency room.

What were your symptoms? He was lethargic and nauseous, and his skin turned yellow. Then he suffered from diarrhea and began to vomit blood.

He had suffered a bacterial and a fungal infection. The magic mushroom that he had injected into was multiplying in his blood.

What happened to the man who injected himself with magic mushroom tea?

The person spent 22 days in intensive care for multiple damage to the liver and kidneys, according to the magazine, cited by Live Science. He needed an artificial respirator.

Doctors explain that his blood tested positive for the Brevibacillus microbe and Psilocybe cubensis. The latter is the active ingredient in psilocybin, a hallucinogenic compound found in mushrooms.

According to the person’s family, the man sought to « alleviate the symptoms of bipolar disorder and opioid dependence. » He had stopped taking medication, falling « between depressive and manic states. »

Fortunately, the patient was discharged after emergency medical attention.

Researchers recognize that psilocybin can be used as a treatment for depression, anxiety, and substance abuse. However, it must be taken safely.

In the case of injections, always in a controlled way and under medical supervision.

The fact « underscores the need for continuing public education regarding the dangers of drugs in ways other than those that are prescribed. »

The event was reviewed by Drs. Nicholas Giancola, Clayton Korson, Jason Caplan, and Curtis McKnight.