Tour de France 2020 : Miguel Angel Lopez (Astana) won the 17th stage of the Tour de France at the top of the Col de la Loze. The Colombian was ahead of Primoz Roglic (Jumbo-Visma), who remains in yellow, and Tadej Pogacar (UAE Team Emirates).
Sequence Col de la Madeleine and Col de la Loze: on paper, this 17th stage was the most anticipated of this Tour de France 2020. A stage without Egan Bernal (Ineos) at the start of Grenoble, the defending champion, physically affected, opting for abandonment. After a long battle lasting many kilometers, a five-man breakaway was finally validated by the Jumbo-Visma formation. It consists of Dan Martin (Israel Start-Up Nation), Richard Carapaz (Ineos), Gorka Izagirre (Astana), Julian Alaphilippe (Deceuninck-Quick Step) and Lennard Kämna (Bora-Hansgrohe). This group of five has a six-minute lead when it comes to climbing the Col de la Madeleine (17.1 km at 8.4%). Led by the Bahrain-McLaren formation, the peloton is gradually returning to the breakaway and is only one minute and thirty seconds behind at the top of the Col de la Madeleine, led by Richard Carapaz. The descent is led with a bang by the leading group, which reaches the foot of the Col de la Loze (21.5 km at 7.8%) with two minutes ahead of the peloton.
The breakaway, led by a very fit Julian Alaphilippe, then tries to resist as much as possible the return of the peloton, or rather the yellow jersey group, as this group has few riders. But it is ultimately Richard Carapaz who opposes the most beautiful resistance. The winner of the last Tour of Italy is giving everything in view of the stage victory. In the peloton, Rigoberto Uran (EF), third in the general classification, is let go, while Richard Carapaz is caught three kilometers from the end. Miguel Angel Lopez (Astana) then attacks and is no longer joined until the finish line. Behind, Primoz Roglic (Jumbo-Visma) manages to distance Tadej Pogacar (UAE Team Emirates), taking fifteen seconds from his Slovenian rival. More than ever, Roglic seems to be heading for ultimate success in the Tour.
1. Miguel Angel Lopez (Astana)
2. Primoz Roglic (Jumbo – Visma) at 15 ”
3. Tadej Pogacar (UAE Team Emirates) at 30 ”
4. Sepp Kuss (Jumbo-Visma) at 56 ”
5. Richie Porte (Trek-Segafredo) at 1’01 ”
6. Enric Mas (Movistar) at 1’12 ”
7. Mikel Landa (Bahrain – McLaren) at 1’20 ”
8. Adam Yates (Mitchelton-Scott) at 1’20 ”
9. Rigoberto Uran (EF) at 1’59 ”
10. Tom Dumoulin (Jumbo-Visma) at 2’13 ”
1. Primoz Roglic (Jumbo – Visma)
2. Tadej Pogacar (UAE Team Emirates) at 57 ”
3. Miguel Angel Lopez (Astana) at 1’26 ”
4. Richie Porte (Trek-Segafredo) at 3’05 ”
5. Adam Yates (Mitchelton-Scott) 3’14 ”
6. Rigoberto Uran (EF) at 3’24 ”
7. Mikel Landa (Bahrain – McLaren) at 3’27 ”
8. Enric Mas (Movistar) at 4’18 ”
9. Tom Dumoulin (Jumbo-Visma) at 7’25 ”
10. Alejandro Valverde (Movistar) at 9’31 ”
The post Tour de France 2020: The summary of the 17th stage first appeared on SPORTMAG.fr.