The visa you need to work as a nanny in the United States

The United States has a program called Au Pair that provides the opportunity to work as a babysitter in his country.

Through it, the participants take care of children from American host families, but at the same time they participate in a mutually rewarding intercultural opportunity.

“Participants can continue their education while experiencing everyday life with an American family, and the hosts receive reliable and responsible child care from people who become part of the family,” the program notes on its website.

The J-1 visa, necessary for this program, was suspended by Donald Trump during 2020. However, there is a good chance that Joe Biden will resume it in 2021. It has benefits, among which are:

1) Living with an American family for 12 months, with the option of extending it 6, 9 or 12 more months.

2) Receive a minimum of 32 hours of child care training before beginning.

3) Provide up to 10 hours a day / 45 hours a week of childcare.

4) Complete at least six hours of academic credit or the equivalent in formal educational settings in a educational institution US Accredited Postsecondary.

5) They receive up to $ 500 dollars to cover the cost of their studies. Also room and board plus compensation for childcare work.

Requirements to be a nanny with an Au Pair

1) Have a proficient English proficiency.

2) Be between 18 and 26 years old and have finished college, depending on age.

3) Able to fully participate in the program as evidenced by the successful completion of an exam physical.

4) Pass the interview This is done personally, in English, by a representative of the organization who will prepare a report that will be delivered to the host family.

5) Successfully pass a background investigation which includes school verification, three, non-family personal and work references, a criminal background check or its recognized equivalent and a personality profile.

The visa you need for the Au Pair program

How is a academic exchange program, applicants require the J-1 visa.

The J-1 visa It is granted to foreigners participating in temporary exchange programs.

According to the United States Embassy in Mexico, these are designed “to promote the exchange of people, knowledge, and skills in the fields of education, arts, and sciences.”

People who are eligible for a J-1 visa must apply for it in good time before the start of the program.

“However, exchange visitors will not be able to enter the United States until 30 days before the initial date of the start of the program,” they say.

To process the visa it is mandatory that you gather: valid passport, confirmation sheet of printed application DS-160 and original payment receipt.

Make no mistake when filling out the DS-160 application! Your name must match the one on your passport and the one your academic institution registered with in the SEVIS system. Bring your SEVIS receipt to the interview.

During your interview, you should show that you will return to Mexico and that you will not try to stay in the United States. Show your ties to Mexico by submitting the following documents.

1) Passports that contain previous American visas, even when they have expired.

2) Birth certificate (original or certified copy).

3) Voting credential (IFE) if you are over 18 years old.

4) Proof of Finance (bank account statement, Tax ID, tax returns).

5) Proof of education (school diploma, Professional ID).

6) Proof of employment (payroll receipt, company credential, letter from the Human Resources Department).