The capital Alfonso Cuaron He is one of the most famous active Mexican film directors in the world, along with his countryman Alejandro González Iñárritu (21 grams), a two-time Oscar winner in his category, and Guillermo del Toro from Guadalajara (Pan’s Labyrinth ), also with its corresponding statuette on one occasion. The filmmaker in question, for his part, was the pioneer in winning this award for his work on Gravity. And he would repeat later as the architect of Rome. But let’s check what critics and viewers think of the eight feature films that have been released so far.
The opinion of the specialized critic
The numbers shown in the Rotten tomatoes For the critics they are the following regarding the best films of Alfonso Cuarón, ordering them from best to worst:
1. Gravity (2013): average grade of 9 out of 10 on 355 reviews.
2. Rome (2018): mean of 8.9 in 393 reviews.
3. The little princess (1995): mean of 8.2 in 35 reviews.
4. And your mom too (2001): mean of 8.1 on 139 reviews.
5. Children of men (2006): mean of 8.1 on 253 reviews.
6. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (2004): mean of 7.8 on 259 reviews.
7. Only with your partner (1991): mean of 6.2 in 12 reviews.
8. High hopes (1995): mean of 5.5 in 35 reviews.
The opinion of moviegoers about the best films of Alfonso Cuarón
We go back to Rotten tomatoes, but this time for the first ranking of Alfonso Cuarón’s films according to the votes of its users:
1. And your mom too: average grade of 4.1 out of 5 with more than 50,000 votes.
2. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban: half of 4.1 with more than 250,000 votes.
3. Children of men: half of 4.1 with more than 250,000 votes.
4. Gravity: half of 4 with more than 250,000 votes.
5. High hopes: half of 4 with more than 25,000 votes.
6. Rome: half of 3.7 with more than 5,000 votes.
7. Only with your partner: half of 3.6 with more than 2,500 votes.
8. The little princess: half of 3.4 with more than 100,000 votes.
On the other hand, these are the data that you also provide us IMDb on public opinion:
1. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban: average grade of 7.9 out of 10 with 554,398 votes.
2. Children of men: half of 7.9 with 466,029 votes.
3. Gravity: half of 7.7 with 770,722 votes.
4. Rome: half of 7.7 with 141,082 votes.
5. The little princess: half of 7.7 with 32,331 votes.
6. And your mom too: half of 7.6 with 116,090 votes.
7. Only with your partner: half of 6.9 with 3,461 votes.
8. High hopes: half of 6.9 with 51,309 votes.
And, to finish, here we have the information that it offers us Filmaffinity:
1. Children of men: average grade of 7.1 out of 10 with 67,442 votes.
2. Rome: half of 7 with 25,283 votes.
3. Gravity: half of 6.9 with 87,083 votes.
4. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban: half of 6.9 with 79,734 votes.
5. The little princess: half of 6.8 with 4,658 votes.
6. And your mom too: half of 6.6 with 35,982 votes.
7. High hopes: half of 6.3 with 12,562 votes.
8. Only with your partner: half of 5.8 with 515 votes.
There is an extraordinary lack of unanimity between specialist critics and moviegoers of the three platforms on the one hand and among their voters on the other. According to the former, Alfonso Cuarón’s best film is Gravity. Rotten Tomatoes users note And Your Mother Too. The ones from IMDb, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. And those of Filmaffinity, Sons of men. On the other hand, according to specialized critics, The worst Mexican movie is Great Expectations. IMDb moviegoers agree on this, while those on Rotten Tomatoes point to The little Princess, and those of Filmaffinity, to Only with your partner.
The article The ranking of the best films by Alfonso Cuarón according to specialized critics and moviegoers was published in Hipertextual.