in

President Joe Biden May Visit Texas “Soon”

The president of the United States, Joe Biden, could visit Texas “as soon as this week”, after the storm that has left at least 59 deaths in the country and has hit the inhabitants of that state hard, said this Sunday the spokeswoman for the White House, Jen Psaki.

“We are going to do that at the appropriate time and in coordination with the people on the ground. It could be as early as this week, “Psaki said in an interview with ABC News’s” This Week. “

The spokeswoman said that Biden, who declared a “major disaster” in Texas to expedite the mobilization of federal resources to address the emergency, is “very anxious” to go to that state “and show his support.”

“But he is also very aware of the fact that it is not a moderate intervention for a president to travel to a disaster area, he does not want to take away resources or attention,” Psaki said.

Biden approved the declaration of “major disaster” in 77 counties in Texas, where storms have left millions of users in the dark and cold temperatures collapsed water systems, especially the pipes of many homes.

The national spokesman for the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), Daniel Llargues, explained that the declaration of “major disaster” is of “great magnitude” and responded to a request from the governor of Texas, Greg Abbott.

The measure makes it possible to offer not only public assistance to counties to recover infrastructure and take on other tasks, but also offers support to people who suffered damage to their homes that are not covered by insurance companies and for risk mitigation.

Llargues explained that due to the low temperatures, the pipes in many houses “burst or froze and then caused damage to the roof, to the walls.”

“The residents of this state are not used to seeing this type of winter storms, this type of severe weather,” said the official, noting that weather events such as hurricanes, tropical storms or forest fires are more common in Texas.

In addition, the Biden government declared a state of emergency in Louisiana and Oklahoma – a measure that also includes Texas – and which, according to Llargues, is intended to cover the tasks and tasks of that state, such as expenses derived from the mobilization of police officers. , firefighters or rescuers.

“FEMA is going to help with those expenses that the state has up to 75%, the other 25% is from the state,” he explained.