The Spanish Pol Espargaró (KTM) was the fastest this Friday in the first free trials of the Austrian Grand Prix of MotoGP, fourth round of the Motorcycle World Championship.
The KTM brand won its first MotoGP race in the Czech Republic GP last Sunday under the leadership of South African Brad Binder, debutant this year in the premier class.
Under cloudy skies but without rain, Espargaró beat Italian Andrea Dovizioso (Ducati), who won last year at this circuit, in the session.
The Japanese Takaaki Nakagami (Honda-LCR) finished third and the French Fabio Quartararo (Yamaha-SRT), current leader of the World Championship, qualified 10th.
Spaniard Marc Márquez (Honda), current world champion, will not be at the Austrian GP after breaking his right arm in the first race of the season. At the Spielberg circuit he is replaced by the British Bradley Smith.
Italian Michele Pirro also replaces his compatriot Franceso Bagnaia at Ducati-Pramac, injured during the GP of the Czech Republic.
– Classification of the first MotoGP free trials, this Friday at the Spielberg circuit (4,318 km):
1. Pol Espargaró (ESP / KTM): 1.24: 193
2. Andrea Dovizioso (ITA / Ducati) at 0.044
3. Takaaki Nakagami (JAP / Honda-LCR) 0.185
4. Alex Rins (ESP / Suzuki) 0.380
5. Franco Morbidelli (ITA / Yamaha-SRT) 0.395
6. Johann Zarco (FRA / Ducati-Avintia) 0.462
7. Miguel Oliveira (POR / KTM-Tech3) 0.525
8. Jack Miller (AUS / Ducati-Pramac) 0.531
9. Joan Mir (ESP / Suzuki) 0.550
10. Fabio Quartararo (FRA / Yamaha-SRT) 0.560
jld / gh