La Jornada newspaper
Wednesday, January 13, 2021, p. a12
Tokyo The organizers of the Tokyo Olympics denied that in February they will discuss an eventual annulment of the fair, scheduled for July and August this year after having been postponed in 2020 due to the Covid-19 pandemic. This is false information from Japanese media, said the general director of the organizing committee, Toshiro Muto, although he admitted that next month a difficult decision will be made about whether or not to allow public in the stands.
According to Japanese media, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) must discuss in February whether the Olympic Games are held or not.
When that kind of information comes to the surface, some people can feel uneasy, Muto said. I mean we don’t think at all that way and those articles are fake, he added.
For his part, the president of the organizing committee, Yoshiro Mori, quoted by the Kyodo agency, considered that it is absolutely impossible to postpone the Games after the heavy investments, particularly in the human aspect, made so far.
Mori said that Japan should determine, based on the evolution of the pandemic, if it accepts foreign spectators at the Olympic and Paralympic Games. We will have to make a difficult decision between February and March.
Muto ignored the poll published Sunday that showed a drop in public support for the Olympic Games. Last week, Japan declared a state of emergency in Tokyo and its border regions due to the increase in Covid-19 cases.