German driver Nico Hülkenberg will continue as Sergio Pérez’s replacement at Silverstone, after a new COVID-19 test came back positive for the Mexican driver.

The 32-year-old Hülkenberg joined the team for the weekend’s British Grand Prix and tried to catch up after eight months out of the cockpit. However, he could not participate in the race after the car had technical problems.

Now with the three practice and qualifying sessions, plus what he can continue to learn this weekend, they are a good basis for Hülkenberg to seek a good result at the British GP.

Meanwhile Sergio Pérez will continue to follow the guidance of the National Health System of England. He is physically fine and recovering. Checo commented: “I will not be able to be in the car this weekend. I wish Nico and my entire team the best! Thank God I am in very good health, I hope to return soon. Thank you for your support!”

Meanwhile Nico Hulkenberg said: “I am excited to get back on track with the team at Silverstone. Last weekend was a real step into the unknown after being away from the team for a few years and driving a car that I had never seen before. driven.

I learned a lot in the last week about the RP20 and I am ready to apply my experiences to this weekend. Racing on the same track again makes things a bit easier and the team has done a great job helping me get up to speed. I think we can fight for the points this weekend, which is definitely my goal. I also want to wish Checo the best in his recovery, “said the German.

Finally Otmar Szafnauer, team leader, noted: “Nico did a really solid job last weekend after getting a last minute call to drive for us at Silverstone and he showed why he was an obvious choice to replace Checo.

It was a great shame that I couldn’t start the race last Sunday, but all that hard work will pay off for this weekend. We miss having Checo with us, but we wish him the best and look forward to welcoming him back to the team in the near future, “concluded the manager.