in

DRCongo.- DRC confirms two new cases of Ebola in the east of the country

MADRID, 19 (EUROPA PRESS)

The authorities of the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) have confirmed two other cases of Ebola in the province of North Kivu (east) since the beginning of the twelfth outbreak in the country, bringing the total to six infections, with two deaths up to the date.

The provincial Minister of Health, Eugene Nzanzu, has indicated that the last two cases were part of the contacts of previously detected patients and added that all of them are under treatment, as reported by the Congolese news portal 7sur7.

“One of the cases is in the Magurudjipa health zone and the other in Katwa. That makes six cases, with four hospitalized and two deaths,” he said, while emphasizing that the vaccination campaign started on Monday in the zone “continues”.

The World Health Organization (WHO) regional director for Africa, Matshidiso Moeti, said Thursday that Ebola cases in the DRC are “epidemiologically linked”, adding that the agency “has about 20 experts on the ground supporting national and provincial health authorities “.

Moeti also highlighted that the United Nations Central Emergency Response Fund has disbursed 15 million dollars (about 12.4 million euros) to support the response of the DRC authorities to the outbreak in North Kivu.

The latest Ebola outbreak with an epicenter in eastern DRC, which was concluded last year, lasted almost two years, claimed 2,299 lives and 1,162 patients are known to have overcome the disease. It was the tenth outbreak detected in the African country.

The country was also the epicenter of another Ebola outbreak during 2020, in this case in the province of Ecuador (northwest). In this case, the outbreak – the eleventh – was declared on June 1 and was terminated on November 18, with 119 confirmed cases, eleven probable cases, and 55 deaths.