SÃO PAULO – The quarantine in force in São Paulo will be extended from May 31, but the new model will adopt different rules for the coast, for the capital and metropolitan region of São Paulo, and for the interior of the state, according to the Governor João Doria (PSDB). Called the “smart quarantine”, the new action will be announced on Wednesday, the 27th.
Doria said details of the new quarantine in an interview with Globonews. “The new quarantine will be smart. It will take into account all the regionalization of the State of São Paulo, the interior, the capital, the metropolitan region, the coast of São Paulo. The decision will not be homogeneous”, he affirmed. “So far, it has been homogeneous. Until this quarantine that ends on May 31. It was homogeneous because it needed to be.”
The new model, in turn, will have different rules for different regions. “Now, we have conditions for it (the quarantine) to be heterogeneous, following the guidance of the health committee,” said the governor. “Areas and regions where we can have a look that defines smart quarantine, careful flexibility and in stages, this will be taken into account,” he said. “Where that is not possible, because the indices and risks indicate that it shouldn’t, there won’t be.”
The Secretary of Finance, Henrique Meirelles, said in a live of the British Chamber of Commerce and Industry in Brazil that the west of the State should be the first area to be liberated. “We will start in the west of the state, in cities with less density and greater capacity for hospital care.” In the metropolitan region of the capital, according to the secretary, “the most likely is a slightly greater restriction”
The government has a working group looking for ways to allow the reopening of certain activities in certain regions of the state, which according to Doria is submitted to the Coronavirus Contingency Center. The center, which brings together 15 health professionals, most of whom are infectious diseases, has already postponed proposals for commercial opening in the state because of the risk of collapse in the health system.
The economic group, led by economist Ana Carla Abrão, has already presented the government with a plan that sees eight economic activities as a priority to resume operations, especially as they are the most affected areas. Among them are service providers, realtors and street vendors. The group has also mapped the regions of the State that may undergo some type of flexibility, and has developed together with the health team protocols that should be adopted for a safe recovery.
The economic group is one of the responses that the Doria administration gave to pressures coming especially from mayors of the interior. They demand the opening, since their cities had not registered, at least until two weeks ago, a number of cases that could overload the health systems. Another response from the government was the creation of a group called “Municipalist Committee”, led by the secretary of Regional Development, Marco Vinholi, whose mission has been to convince municipal leaders about the need to isolate themselves now to reduce quarantine time later.
On the other hand, the Contingency Center’s attention has been turning to the interior since last week, thanks to an acceleration of the spread of the disease at a faster rate than that of the capital, which remains in isolation. Last Wednesday, Vinholi himself made a public presentation of cases, with data from the first half of April. comparing the different administrative regions of the State, to show increases of more than 300% in the number of cases in the interior, compared to 100% growth in the capital in the same period.
The pressure for opening in the countryside is different from the pressure coming from the capital, made by Mayor Bruno Covas (PSDB), Doria’s ally. After trying to block traffic on the main arteries of the city, and trying to implement a rotation that prohibited the daily traffic of half the fleet, two measures that did not reduce social isolation and brought criticism, the Covas team started to defend the lockdown , as a way to try to reduce the emergence of new cases and give breath to the health system, while the mayor divulged the plan of anticipation of holidays, which ends this Monday, and that brought a small increase in the isolation rates.
“If it was the competence of Mayor Bruno Covas to pronounce the lockdown, he would have already done so,” said councilwoman Patrícia Bezerra (PSDB), from Covas base, in the session of the City Council that voted the bill that authorized the anticipation of holidays . Covas said he was unable to do the lockdown alone because the city has boundaries with other cities at around 1,700 points, and it would be impossible to take this action only in the capital.
Doria, to Globonews, ruled out adopting a lockdown. As I said in an interview with the State, he stated that the protocol for implementing the standard exists, but that for now there is no recommendation from the technical team to adopt it.
Doria, on the other hand, supported the Covas holiday plan and contributed by anticipating the state holiday of June 9 to this Monday, 25. On Twitter, she congratulated the population for the increase in the Sunday isolation rate.
Yesterday we registered 55% of social isolation in the State of SP. In the capital, the rate was 57%. Congratulations to the people who, by staying at home, are helping to save lives. Maintaining these numbers is important to reduce contagion and slow the progress of coronavirus in the state of SP.
– João Doria (@jdoriajr) May 25, 2020
From walker, 99-year-old war veteran raises millions for British public health