MEXICO – Hugo López-Gatell, undersecretary for Health Promotion and Prevention and strategist against the pandemic, reported this Saturday that he tested positive for COVID-19.
“I publicly share that I have COVID-19. I started with symptoms last night, fortunately they are mild, “said the official on his official Twitter account.
The czar against the coronavirus in Mexico said that the antigen test was positive and is awaiting the PCR.
I publicly share that I have # COVID19. I started with symptoms last night, luckily they are mild. The antigen test came back positive and I’m waiting for the PCR. I will be working from home, pending the vaccination strategy.
– Hugo López-Gatell Ramírez (@HLGatell) February 20, 2021
“I will be working from home, pending the vaccination strategy,” he said.
López-Gatell’s management at the forefront of Mexico’s strategy against the pandemic has been controversial and goes through all kinds of criticism that initiate the lack of a forceful statement in favor of the use of the mask as a means to stop infections.
However, López-Gatell has the full support of President Andrés Manuel López Obrador.
López-Gatell’s announcement occurs after General Luis Cresencio Sandoval, Secretary of National Defense, reported on Wednesday that he had been infected with the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus that causes COVID-19.
In his Twitter account, Sandoval indicated that he will continue with his functions isolated from home, as well as under medical treatment and relying on officials of the agency.
López-Gatell and Sandoval coincided this week in the morning conferences of President López Obrador; they both sat together and without wearing masks.
I want to inform you that today I tested positive for COVID-19; I will continue with my functions isolated from home, under medical treatment and relying on @SEDENAmx officials in accordance with the chain of command, to continue working for the people of Mexico.
– Luis Cresencio Sandoval González (@Luis_C_Sandoval) February 17, 2021