July 23, 2021 4:36 PM | With information from .
15 minutes. The administration of President Joe Biden announced the first cancellation of contracts initiated by his predecessor, Donald Trump (2017-2021), for the construction of a wall on the southern border of the United States.
The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) reported that Customs and Border Protection (CBP) terminated two contracts for the construction of barriers in the Laredo (Texas) sector.
Last month, DHS published its plan for using the funds the Trump administration planned to use to build physical barriers along the 3,200 kilometers of the US-Mexico border.
In fulfillment of his electoral promises, Trump intended to spend about $ 15 billion on the work, and at the end of 2018, after he declared a border emergency, he transferred more than $ 10 billion to his project that Congress had approved for military spending.
The plan announced in June by DHS established the general rules for decisions related to the construction of border barriers and the contracts whose cancellation was announced today cover almost 50 kilometers of works.
“Construction has not yet started on the two projects in the Laredo sector, and land acquisition has not started,” DHS said.
The agency added that it “continues to review all other border barrier projects that have been put on hold. And it is in the process of determining which ones may be necessary to address life, safety and environmental (needs).”
“The government continues to ask Congress to cancel the remaining funds for the wall. And also to grant funds for smarter border protection measures,” he said.