The Government is working on a scheme of rate increase of around 20% But it seeks that the increases are not even for the entire population but that they will have a segmentation that will put more pressure on the higher income sectors.
That definition is in the hands of the Minister of Economy, Martín Guzmán, who works on the scheme with the Secretary of Energy, Darío Martínez, traIt’s two years with virtually no utility rate tinkering. In 2019 because it was the last year of Mauricio Macri’s administration and he was seeking his re-election and last year because of the pandemic, so the Alberto Fernández government ordered the freeze.
« Guzmán and Martínez intend to increase rates by 20% on average but with a very marked segmentation: no more than 9% for the poorest 45% of the population, the same as inflation for the 35% of the » middle class « and everything that is necessary for the richest 20% to stop being subsidized « , revealed the journalist Alejandro Bercovich in his Weekly Panorama in BAE Business.
Martínez, called for on March 15 to a public hearing where it will be discussed what portion of the wellhead gas price will be covered by the State through subsidies. « But as it is not planned to analyze the rates that will correspond to carriers and distributors there, the controller of the National Gas Regulatory Entity (Enargas), Federico Bernal, could call a second hearing today the following day. The same as María Soledad evaluates Manin at the ENRE for electricity rates, « he said.
Energy, rates and wages
This week, Martínez linked the adjustment of public service rates to the evolution of wages, in a scheme in which the Government is trying to align all the variables so that it does not put pressure on inflation, which in January stood at 4%. said « the rate table or rate cannot grow more than the salary « and considered that « the subsidy scheme is not good, but it will take a long time to balance it. »
« The rate schedule or the rate cannot grow more than the salary, because not only does it become unpayable, but it also makes people stop consuming other goods; therefore the rate will go below the salary or retirement update » he said, according to the . agency.
In dialogue with the LU5 radio station in Neuquén, Martínez added that in the case of energy rates it is necessary « to have a more federal vision, which takes into account each region, it is a balance that costs so that all are satisfied « .
On the other hand, he recalled that « the State subsidizes 51% of the general cost of energy; and the remaining 49% is paid on the bill; that must begin to balance it, it is a process that will take a long time. »