in

72 percent of Interjet and Aeroméxico flights canceled

Mexico City (Azucena Vásquez) – From January to September of last year, Interjet Y Aeromexico canceled up to 72.3 percent of their scheduled flights at the Mexico City International Airport (AICM), as a result of the pandemic of Covid-19 and their financial problems, with which they became the national airlines with the highest percentage of non-realized operations.

In that period, of the total scheduled flights, Aeroméxico, without considering Aeroméxico Connect, only completed 28 thousand 572 flights, 27.7 percent, and canceled the remaining 72.3 percent, a total of 80 thousand 482, reveal figures from the operations index and canceled in the AICM carried out by the Federal Civil Aviation Agency (AFAC).

While Grupo Aeroméxico, which includes both Aeroméxico Connect and Aeroméxico, canceled 86,106 flights, 55.1 percent of those scheduled.

Interjet canceled 48,199, 67.4 percent of the total, making them the Mexican airlines with the most flights canceled at the AICM.

On average, Mexican airlines barely operated 50.9 percent of their scheduled flights in the aforementioned period, while in the same period of 2019 the percentage was higher than 90 percent; however, Aeroméxico and Interjet had the highest cancellation percentages.

In the months of April, May and June 2020, the companies showed their lowest rates of operation, they canceled up to 97.7 percent of their scheduled flights.

Fernando Gómez, an aviation analyst, recently pointed out that the cancellations were due to the drop in demand caused by the Covid-19 pandemic and the financial problems that both companies faced in those months.

For more information, follow the News section of My Pocket.